24 April 2011

Labs

Labs
by Lillian Sanpere Tarragona on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 9:52am

One of my anxiety producing events is my periodical blood work, to keep up with my health. Layla drew my blood on Thursday and I was wishing results the next day. But the cancer marker takes more than a day to be processed, and I had a weekend to contend with. Seems that all 3 times before my caminos is when my labs are done, and always I wonder if the results will come back and I will not be able to go.

Cancer fucking sucks. Even though it was cut out of me, the chemo was completed and it's been 2 and a half years, I am still reminded every day from news story lines, my friend dying a couple of weeks ago, another friend newly diagnosed....

Several phone calls to my secretary and finally she tells me the results arrived. She faxed them to my home and I stood over that fax machine wishing it would print faster. Honestly, that is how it was for me.

First thing my eyes looked for was the column with the "abnormals". All good. Then I looked for CEA, my marker.... a smile came up and tears did as well...the numbers went down. Way down from my last time.
I tear up as I write this.


Thank You Nerea for reminding me. Gracias Nerea.
*****
Un evento que me trae ansia es cuando tengo que hacerme un analisis de sangre, para ver como va mi salud. Layla me saco la sangre el jueves pasado y yo queria los resultados el dia proximo. Pero el marcador de cancer se tarda mas de un dia para procesar y encima tenia un fin de semana viniendo. Parece queantes de las ultimas 3 veces que me fui al camino es cuando me tengo que hacer esos analisis., y siempre temo que los resultados me prevengan el poder ir. Cancer es una mierda! Aunque fue cortado de mi, la quimioterapia completada y ha sido ya mas de 2 años y medio, me recuerda todos los dias con el noticiero, mi amiga que murio hace un par de semanas, otra amiga recien diagnosticada...
Varias llamadas a mi secretaria y al fin me dice que llegaron. Me las mando por fax a mi casa y yo paradita ante la maquina deseando que imprimiera mas rapido. Honestamente, asi fue para mi.
Lo primero que mis ojos buscaron fue la columna con los resultados anormales. Todo bien. Entonces busque el del CEA, mi marcados.... una sonrisita salio y unas lagrimitas cayeron...los numeros bajaron. Bastante mas que la ultima vez.
Lagrimando mientras escribo esto.
Like · · Share · Delete

Stacey Walden, Minie Brattain and Katherine Clark Drake like this.
Inga Finch ALICE!! yay YAY! i love you, you are going to the camino again!
March 17, 2009 at 9:56am · Like

Nerea Llona yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! oshe, traduce esto al spanish si quieres y tienes tiempo, que es muy chuli....felicidades guerrera!!!
March 17, 2009 at 9:58am · Like

Cecilia Ann Mitchell Alice, this is great news... and I agree with you completely when you say "Cancer fucking sucks". Indeed it does.
March 17, 2009 at 10:09am · Like

Dave Smith Thats great news Alice .. good to hear everything is doing good.
March 17, 2009 at 10:18am · Like

Lori Willner Alice, thank you so much for sharing your good news. It is good news for all of us, though I so wish you weren't having to deal with cancer at all.
March 17, 2009 at 10:27am · Like

Ellen Sanpere Tears and smiles - says it all, doesn't it. So glad there are smiles today. Love you, Alice...
March 17, 2009 at 10:33am · Like

Katherine Clark Drake ‎*Hugs* My heart goes out to you. I'm with Ellen... Tears and smiles. I'm glad you are smiles today, too :)
March 17, 2009 at 10:40am · Like

Sandi Lodge Gerrell This is wonderful Alice!!!
March 17, 2009 at 11:42am · Like

Minie Brattain Hells Yeah
March 17, 2009 at 11:42am · Like

Stacey Walden Smiling big for you!
March 17, 2009 at 11:44am · Like

Deedee Miller Yay! Wwe pray that your results stay firmly in the "healthy" category!

Walk a few km on the Camino for us!
March 17, 2009 at 12:15pm · Like

Julie Boutwell-Peterson Such great news, Alice! Hugs and kisses to you!
March 17, 2009 at 1:17pm · Like

Lillian Sanpere Tarragona thank you, my friends!! LOVE LOVE LOVE
March 17, 2009 at 10:29pm · Like

Heidi Schumacher Dahlborg Such good news, walk on!
March 18, 2009 at 8:31am · Like

Jennifer Johnstone Oetting Tears and smiles on my end, too! If you're happy, we're happy! Have a wonderful trip!
March 18, 2009 at 8:57pm · Like

No comments: