03 September 2011

Saturday

Saturdays are those days where I don't know what to do. I am on call, so that narrows things down to a geographical area.

Thanks to my client, Jenny, who gave me a gift certificate for a massage, I feel very relaxed from the get-go. My appointment was at 915am which did require an early start. Not what one would expect to have to do on a day where one can sleep in. But my sleep had already been broken up as my phone went off during the night with a text from my friend Siegfried in Germany, thanking me for a card and photos I sent. I guess he forgets we are 6 hours apart??
Anyway, thanks so much Jess for a strong massage. I do enjoy relaxing massages but my lower back has been giving me a bit of a fit lately (normal midwifery aches) and I needed that firmness. Her office has a quiet elegance and she tells me how she found all her furnishings and decorated it herself. Jess is looking for an adventure and I told her about the Camino; I think she's interested. Nothing like it, Jess.


So I left much more limber and as I had to drive through downtown, I saw the farmer's market in action and decided to stop. But first what caught my eye is part of the Park Avenue parks, one specifically that has those oaks that I have come to LOVE so much about Tallahassee. I parked and sat on the grass for a moment until there was no one left and took advantage of that quietness and took a few pictures. The bench at the base of one of the trees makes me imagine an elderly couple sitting there which would have made the moment even better. But it was LOVEly anyway. When a mini-van full of kids rode up and they all got out, that moment was finished.

I went to the Farmer's Market and strolled through all the stands. There is less "farmer" and more artists at this market selling their wares. Since I have made a decision to lighten my load, I admired but did not buy anything. Sometimes that is difficult, especially since I tend to be a little impulsive and yeah, there were mermaids there!! I did pick up some veggies. Which, in the long run, were more expensive than shopping at my local Publix.


Oh well, it added to the moment. And as is common in Tallahassee, I first stopped at the booth of one of my mamas, who makes pretty jewelry. She had given Layla and me a bracelet when her baby was born, as a thank you gift and today her wares were even more beautiful as the years helped her hone her skills. She showed me pictures of Sevin, who is now 10 and beautiful. While standing there, I got a little pinch, turned around and there was papa Dean who called mama Blair and baby Hannah to say hello. I had just seen Blair and Hannah yesterday at the Cottage when she came in to buy a Maya baby sling and I showed her how to use it, but here we were together again. And another moment later, I see my next mama who is due, Sarah and her big, round belly, with her 2 boys and my niece, Desiree. We laughed at running into each other there. Ya, that is Tallahassee.
I hardly go out anymore and this was a small reminder that I should get out more often?


No comments: