11 August 2007

The Last 30 Days : Las Vegas

So New York got me all excited with its shows. But, I would like to see a Cirque de Soleil. Seen enough of them on TV... how about a real one? Yeah there's one in Orlando. Go online and see? There are 4 of them in Las Vegas!! 4! I always wanted to go to Las Vegas! Check flights, work out the time off at the Cottage... ready! But, alone? Hmm. So I call Layla... "Hey Layla, want to go to Las Vegas?" Hell yeah, went her end of the phone. Wow, I have not done a real vacation with my 2 oldest kids. So I call Kristopher... "Hey Kristopher, want to go to Las Vegas? Sure, went his end of the phone. So, reservations made, time off arranged.... perfect!
OK, you saw the last post where I said I want to cram as much in. I might never go back there again!
Checked into the Luxor. We are in Egypt. How neat is that hotel.
First night we decided to do one of Vegas' famous buffets. Where do they get all this food??? Awesome. A little pricey but what the hell... we're on vacation. And I thought Vegas gave away food and drinks ( I meant that supposedly it is very cheap, since they are getting your gambling money). Oh well.
Yeah did a little gambling. I must say the slot machines are boring as hell. They have taken the fun out of them by making them computerized. I like the activity of putting in a quarter, pulling the handle, waiting for the results and hearing the quarters coming out of the bottom and putting them back into your little bucket... much more interactive. Now you put in a paper ticket or bill and use your one finger to click the button. Watch people's faces... they look so bored.
Walked to another hotel. Saw the Shark Reef. Pool with wave action.
Layla and I went to the Hoover Dam. Took a picture of the temperature reading of our car... yeah 115 degrees. The water is way down. They too are having a very big dry spell. Toured the whole thing.
Went clubbing. Well, they did, I just went for the first part. An 80s band playing great music. Layla and Kristopher danced away. People getting nutty... I loved it.
Went to the pool. I had to buy a bathing suit for the occasion (all 1 hour of it) The place is too damn hot!
Walked through other hotels so we can see their themes... the castle one (they have a knights and horses battle show), the pirate one (they have girly pirates doing some swashbuckling, titty swinging stuff), the Volcano (fake of course, but still fun), the dancing waters (to music, very nice).
AND... I got to see my Cirque de Soleil show. The Beatles' LOVE show. OK, so I cannot describe it because it was very trippy. It's one of those where you say "You just had to be there". Worth the flight, the hotel and the price of admission. What a wonderful show. The music, the acrobatics, the costumes, the trinkets, the sheets that went over the whole audience, the colors, etc It was a trip! So thankful that I got to see that one. We had incredible seats, too.
The kids did not want to go with me, so I decided to go alone to Zion National Park. Drove the 2 plus hours just to be in touch with the natural beauty of that area of Utah.. I had been there 25 years ago and wanted to see it again. There it was...just how I left it. I got to hike a little in one of the canyons.
We did some touristy shopping and came home.
About that never going back thing? In those 5 days we managed to see only one side of the strip. Never touched a hotel across the street. There is the Venice one, the Paris one....

No comments: